Last week I was a bit down in the dumps. From a purely rational standpoint, I perfectly understand what was going on. As I’ve posted about previously, my routine mammogram (in October) showed some unusual cells. The cells were removed via a needle biopsy, and the surrounding tissue was removed during an outpatient lumpectomy surgery. The cells were not cancerous, nor were they pre-cancerous. All GREAT news! Nevertheless, this surgery, plus a previous surgery, plus the fact that my mother had breast cancer put me at a really high risk for breast cancer (40% lifetime chance vs. 10%). The oncologist suggested that I consider taking hormone therapy (tamoxifen) as a preventative. It has been shown to reduce a person’s risk by 50%. But….there are side effects. I was scared to try it, but considering the scarier prospect of breast cancer, I obviously decided to try it.
One of the known side effects is depression. Another is sleep disruption. As I am getting acclimated to this drug, I have been experiencing these side effects (among others…which I won’t bore you with). The depression part is a bit weird. It will be pretty intense for about 90 minutes…then gone! (BTW this week it is all gone).
Anyway, last week I had the sadness thing plus the sleep disruption. On Tuesday I was awake at 3:00 am with no possibility of going back to sleep. Eventually I got up and went outside for a run in the dark–all the while feeling sorry for myself. WHINE WHINE WHINE were the only thoughts running through my head when suddenly a beautiful flash of blue/green light flashed across the sky. A meteor!! I took the meteor as a sign to BUCK UP and stop being such a baby (and I did)! Later I googled the meteor. It was part of the Geminid Meteor Shower.
So the other action that I took to reverse my sadness last week was retail therapy. Generally, I don’t enjoy shopping b/c it makes me feel guilty to spend money on myself. However, one of the side benefits of my second job (at a women’s clothing chain store) is getting to shop at the company store. Everything there is $2-$15 except the leather jackets and skirts which are $20! I hadn’t been in a while, but thought I’d go to holiday (and self) shop.
For the past several months, I have cut my wine consumption down from 2 glasses a night to 1 a week. I did this b/c I found it was easier to get up early for my run. An unintended consequence was that I lost 8 pounds!! But now my pants haven’t been fitting. Most of the weight went from my belly and rear end, and my pants have become droopy. I have been constantly hitching up my saggy pants like a hill billy!
But, for $5 a pop, I was able to buy some pants that actually fit!! Amazing how wearing pants that fit can change your whole outlook! I guess its the little things!
So, after my Tuesday pity party, things have been pretty good. Hope you are having a great week so far!