This past weekend, we took the world’s quickest road trip to Florida to watch our girl’s first high school cross country meet. 7 hours there, and 7 back to spectate at 21 minutes of racing. Sounds ridiculous, but it was AWESOME!! (OK, we actually stayed longer than 21 minutes)
I don’t even know where to begin to start when praising this sport…We became fans when our son ran cross country. Thank goodness for us (and her too) that our daughter is now doing it!
Here are some of the reasons I think cross country is so great:
- The kids learn important life traits – such as goal setting, preparation, and problem solving.
- Although it is obviously a super competitive activity, the kids are SOOO supportive of each other– Both with teammates as well as competitors. I saw my girl, and the girl she had beat by inches (from another school) laughing and carrying on when they were receiving their ribbons.
- The sport seems to attract top notch kids…school leaders, high grade earners, no druggies…
- It introduces the kids to running. Hopefully they stick with it, or get back to it as they age.
- The effort these kids put out when racing is awe inspiring. I had a friend say to me “how could you not be inspired to run after watching them?” And I agree…you should go watch a meet if you never have!
The most awesome thing is the race start. I know this is sappy, but it almost always moves me to tears. It is the embodiment of hope. Now combine the start with a sunrise and you have guaranteed tears here!
One time, I told my daughter and her friend ‘Fastboy’ that if I had a time machine, I’d go back and run cross country in high school!
Here is a link to an article that nicely explains the greatness of cross country: